The Repair Shop
- The Shop
- Director’s Fix Kit
- Repair Clinics
- Repair Clinic Survey
The Largest Repair Network
- Repairs by the leading professional technicians in the industry
- Service that is affordable, timely, and unconditionally guaranteed
- Locality that is supported by the largest full-service network in the country
- Quality backed by the Music & Arts brand
Serviceable Instrument Types
- English Horn
- Alto Horn
- French Horn
- Marching Brass
- String Bass
- Bass Guitar
- Audio Equipment
- Auxiliary Percussion
- Hand Percussion
- Marching Percussion
- Tuned Percussion
Unusual or foreign instrument - we may still be able to repair them, however it is taken on a case by case basis.
Repair availability may vary by market.
- Regulation & Adjustment
- Clean & Polish
- Dent Removal
- Chemical Clean
- Valve Repair
- Pulling Slides & Mouthpieces
- Bow Rehairing
- Bridge Replacements
- Structural Repairs
Download our Repairs FAQ if you have more questions.
Contact your local store for a comprehensive list of services.
Maintenance plans are available for both rental and non-rental instruments:
Most people choose to include Liability Damage Waiver (LDW) with their instrument rental. LDW covers maintenance, repairs, and loss due to theft or fire while you are renting the instrument. Best of all, it can be cancelled at any time. Contact your local area store to understand the benefits of coverage.
To protect your instrument purchase, we also off another coverage plan, Instrument Maintenance Agreement (IMA). An IMA is a cost-effective way to go beyond home owner's insurance policies and manufacturer's warranties. It includes regular maintenance check-ups, part replacements, and cleaning. Download the agreement to learn more.
Why Buy IMA?
- Repairs are not covered by most home- owner’s insurance policies without a special rider and/or deductible. Manufacturer’s warranties only cover defects, not adjustments due to normal use.
- The cost of one year’s coverage = one average visit to the repair shop, so the coverage pays for itself even if the instrument only comes in once a year for adjustment.
- Buy two years to avoid rising labor and parts costs.
- Loaner instruments are provided upon request based on availability.
- IMA customers with a valid police report for a lost or stolen instrument are entitled to additional discounts on Music & Arts’ already low instrument purchase prices.
What Is Included?
- Regular maintenance check-ups as needed and requested.
- Adjustment and regulation of the instrument for optimal performance.
- Replacement of parts that deteriorate over time (corks, felts, springs, pads etc.).
- Repair of accidental damage to original playability.
- Cleaning as necessary to improve instrument function.
Levels of Coverage
Level 1 instruments include all student level:
- drum kits
- bell kits
Level 2 instruments include all:
- french horns
- bass clarinets
- intermediate and professional quality instruments
Terms for Enrollment
Musical instruments qualifying for immediate enrollment without pre-evaluation are all Music & Arts band and orchestra instruments purchased from one of our stores, if you purchase the IMA agreement at time of instrument purchase. Other new and used instruments purchased at Music & Arts may be enrolled based on condition and value at Music & Arts’ sole discretion. Music & Arts may require repair as a prerequisite to enrollment. Music & Arts will provide a cost estimate for the repair if Music & Arts determines repair is necessary to qualify for enrollment. Payment for repair and/or enrollment is due at time of signing. Instruments purchased from a non-Music & Arts vendor may be enrolled at Music & Arts’ discretion after the instrument passes inspection and any necessary repairs are completed and paid for in full.
- 1. MAINTENANCE. Music & Arts will maintain the instrument in good playing condition and provide the following services:
- A. General checkups as necessary and as requested.
- B. Adjustment and proper regulation of keys, valves or slides.
- C. Replacement of all necessary pads, corks, felts or springs.
- D. Removal of dents that affect the playability of the instrument (as determined by a Music & Arts approved technician).
- E. Pulling of stuck slides, valves or mouthpieces.
- F. Cleaning and lubrication as necessary to improve playability. (Customer is responsible for basic cleaning and care.)
- G. Cracked wood on woodwind instruments will be pinned, if possible.
- H. Cases will be repaired or replaced at a price determined by Music & Arts, not to exceed 50% of our retail price.
- I. Repairs must be completed by a Music & Arts technician or a Music & Arts approved technician, if not, this agreement is cancelled and there are no refunds.
- J. Cracked plastic-bodied instruments may be repaired or replaced at Music & Arts’ discretion.
- K. For soprano instruments, we will be able to provide a loaner, if available.
- The MAINTENANCE agreement DOES NOT cover the following:
- A. Intentional damage, negligent handling or abuse to the instrument (as determined by a Music & Arts technician).
- B. Cosmetic damage such as: lacquer finishes, silver-plated surfaces or ornamental features such as key pearls (not affecting playability).
- C. Replacement of lost parts.
- D. Accessory items such as reeds, lubricants, straps, bows (including bow hair), rosin, ligatures, strings, drum sticks, drum heads, gig bags, customized cases, mouthpieces, mouthpiece covers, cleaning rods. Other accessory exceptions apply.
- E. Instruments used for business or commercial purposes.
- 2. Instruments must be delivered to Music & Arts for authorized evaluation and/or repair and a receipt obtained. Music & Arts pays return freight.
- 3. Enrolled instruments presented for repair must be accompanied by Agreement number.
- 4. REPLACEMENT. If your instrument is lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair (as determined by Music & Arts), the customer may purchase a replacement instrument from Music & Arts during the contract period at a 40% discount on full retail price. The following limitations apply:
- A. Music & Arts reserves the right to substitute brands or models of comparable value if and when an exact replacement is not available to Music & Arts;
- B. Coverage is NOT AVAILABLE for vintage instruments, sentimental value, or instruments of exceptional value as determined by Music & Arts in its sole discre tion;
- C. No portion of the enrollment fee shall be returned to you if you elect not to replace an instrument or if the replacement option is not available to you.
- 5. This Agreement will be effective on the 1st day of the month following the date this Agreement is signed and is accepted and validated by Music & Arts. Acceptance is indicated by the assignment by Music & Arts of an “Agreement Number,” “Start Date” and “End Date.” For TENNESSEE customers, the End Date will be extended by the sum of the number of days you lose the use of an instrument in the custody of Music & Arts for maintenance or repair, plus two working days. For MARYLAND customers, the End Date will be extended by the number of days you lose the use of an instrument in the custody of Music & Arts for maintenance or repair.
- 6. This Agreement may be renewed by paying the renewal fee prior to expiration of the Agreement. Music & Arts is authorized to submit your credit card information on file for purposes of payment of the enrollment fee upon renewal. For VIRGINIA customers, any renewal shall be for a term of fifty (50) weeks. It is the customer’s responsibility to renew this Agreement prior to the expiration.
- 7. Music & Arts reserves the right to refuse any new or renewal Instrument Maintenance Agreement for any reason.
- 8. This Agreement is not transferable or cancellable.
- 9. NEITHER MUSIC & ARTS, NOR ITS AGENTS, CONTRACTORS OR LICENSEES, ARE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST TIME, LOSS OF USE OF COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE BREAKDOWN OR FAILURE OF YOUR INSTRUMENT, DELAYS IN SERVICING OR THE INABILITY TO SERVICE ANY INSTRUMENT, EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY LAW. THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF MUSIC & ARTS, IF IT IS UNABLE TO SERVICE THE INSTRUMENT, IS THE REFUND OF THE PAYMENT PROVIDED HEREIN.
- 10. IF YOU ARE RENTING AN INSTRUMENT WITH US AND YOU MAKE ALL THE REQUIRED PAYMENTS, TITLE WILL PASS AFTER WE RECEIVE YOUR FINAL PAYMENT.
- 11. IF YOU CARRY OUR LDW COVERAGE AND EXECUTE THE IMA AGREEMENT PRIOR TO THE TITLE PASSING, WE WILL NOT REQUIRE YOUR INSTRUMENT TO BE INSPECTED PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE AGREEMENT.
- 12. AN INSPECTION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ANY IMA AGREEMENT RECEIVED, AFTER TITLE HAS PASSED, BEFORE IT CAN BECOME EFFECTIVE.
- Music & Arts has an extensive nationwide repair network servicing its 130+ stores
- We have a deep bench of certified experts who have trained with the best apprentice programs and technical colleges
- Carrying an incredible depth of knowledge our technicians continue to mold industry standards
- The Music & Arts Repair Center in Frederick, MD is also a training center for the next generation of technicians
Do you want to join our repair team? Check out available positions on our employment page.
Comprehensive Repair Facilities
- Music & Arts has over 40 repair facilities placed nationwide to service all 130+ store locations
- The Music & Arts Repair Center in Frederick, MD, is the largest full-service repair facility in the country
- All repairs and overhauls performed by our technicians are unconditionally guaranteed
- Music & Arts is an authorized service center for the most widely respected band and orchestra instrument brands
Stop by your local repair location and we'll give it a look.
Director’s Fix Kit
The Director’s Fix Kit is a deluxe brass and woodwind repair kit with the musician, private teacher and band directors in mind. The tools and guided instructions provided in this kit help save money and time with those minor or last-minute emergency repairs that would normally have had to go to the repair shop. With a little practice, this kit will enable you to perform woodwind repairs such as pad, tenon cork, head cork and key cork replacement, adjustments and much more.
"As a professional repair technician with over 35 years’ experience, the Deluxe Fit Kit is like no other on the market! Offering quality tooling, supplies and instructions in one complete kit for the novice to preform those quick and less complex repairs to save time and money."
Music & Arts travels the nation to offer educators "Tips for quick & easy instrument repairs.” These sessions feature live product demonstrations of the Director’s Fix Kit! To learn more, please visit MusicArts.com/Tradeshows.
If you would like to host our clinic at your conference, in-service, local facility or, please contact TheRepairShop@musicarts.com. The Repair Shop would be happy to serve you!
"Lots of ways to solve real world problems!"
Kaitlyn Campbell, SC
"The repair clinic was excellent; you were able to see the repair demos up close. I could sit and learn for hours"
Rebekah Weaver, DE
"It is very thorough! A variety of issues were addressed on each main instrument."
Emily Milford, NC
Thank you for visiting Music & Arts!
If you have recently attended one of our Repair Clinics, we want to hear from you! Our team strives to improve consistently their teaching style and techniques thereby making these events a successful experience for you. If you have any questions, please contact us at TheRepairShop@musicarts.com.