A fusion of two great design ideas.
The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.
Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.
This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio.
The latest OS from Sequential adds these much-anticipated features:
• Support for MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression). This enables the Prophet-6 and OB-6 to respond to MPE-driven controllers such as the LinnStrument, Expressive E Osmose, Roli Seaboard series and others.
• Prophet-5 Rev 4-style “vintage” mode. This gives the Prophet-6 and OB-6 a looser, more organic sound that emulates the behavior of vintage synthesizers where the behavior of individual oscillators, filters and envelopes vary from voice to voice.
• Improved aftertouch curves for enhanced expressiveness when using the Prophet-6 and OB-6’s own keyboard, significantly enhancing the expressivity of both instruments.
- Designed by Dave Smith
- Six discrete analog voices
- 64-step sequencer arpeggiator
- Phase shifter
- Deadly ring modulator