Full-dreadnought sound with solid tonewoods and a high performance neck for playing comfort.
The Martin D-18 Standard has a sleek, modern High Performance Neck for enhanced playability. It features a solid spruce top for well-balanced tone. The use of solid mahogany for the back and sides further adds to this dreadnought's precise, clear treble and a warm, moderate bass. This one is made to last a lifetime, and is perfect for both the intermediate and advanced player.
The very first dreadnought guitars were designed and crafted by C. F. Martin & Co. in 1916, but marketed in Boston and New York exclusively under the Oliver Ditson brand. Originally made for Hawaiian slide playing style, the very first dreadnought made was a Model 222 shipped to Ditson in August of 1916. After Ditson went out of business in the early 1930s, Martin introduced the D-1 and D-2 dreadnoughts for standard playing style that would soon become Martin’s iconic D-18 and D-28 models. Over the past 100 years, the Martin dreadnought has helped define what an acoustic guitar can and should be, and subsequently, it has become one of the most popular acoustic guitar designs in the world.
- Model: D-18 Standard
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid spruce
- Rosette: Style 18
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped, Forward Shifted
- Top Braces: Solid Spruce 5/16''
- Back Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Back Purfling: Style 18
- Side Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: Delmar Tortoise Color
- Endpiece Inlay: none
- Binding: Tortoise Color
- Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Side Inlay: none
- Back Inlay: none
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval Profile with Performing Artist Taper
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood/Raised Gold Foil
- Heelcap: Tortoise Color
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4''
- Number of Frets Clear: 14
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/8''
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Old Style 18
- Fingerboard Binding: none
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss with Aging Toner
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly with Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-3/16''
- Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Open-Geared with Butterbean Knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin Studio Performance Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge (MSP7200)
- Bridge & End Pins: Black
- Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
- Case: 445 Hardshell
- Interior Label: none
- Electronics: No
- Powerful dreadnought design
- Great-sounding combination of solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides
- Modified Low Oval Neck profile with High Performance Taper
- Smooth black ebony fingerboard
- Bone nut and compensated saddle for improved sustain and intonation
- Includes case