- Item # 1315198
- Model # NXT4a-VA-BK
Based around a 16" viola string scale, key features of this instrument include the Polar™ Pickup System with the new dual mode signal output, patented precision tuning system, sleek, ergonomic design… Learn More
Reserve Now! This item is backordered but it is available to reserve now. You will not be charged until the item ships.
Ship to Store
2-7 business days
Comfortable scale with authentic acoustic timbre.
Based around a 16" viola string scale, key features of this instrument include the Polar™ Pickup System with the new dual mode signal output, patented precision tuning system, sleek, ergonomic design and light weight. The NXTa features a maple body, comfortable Custom Shoulder Rest and an adjustable-height bridge. Most importantly, the NXTa Viola offers artists exceptional amplified and recorded performance quality and extraordinary freedom of expression. The Polar Pickup System is driven directly by the vibration of the strings, enabling it to produce a full spectrum of sound with power and clarity. (By contrast, an acoustic viola's amplified performance is heavily dependent upon the resonant capabilities of the body of the instrument.) The NXTa set up with F-C-G-D, Octave, or even G-D-A-E strings, delivers the entire range with full richness of tone. A convenient switch beside the volume and tone controls allows selection between heightened Arco and Pizzicato pickup sensitivity.Dual Mode OutputThe new dual mode signal output electronics of the NXTa take the convenience, versatility and performance capability of the NXT to another level.Active ModeUsing the supplied charger, plug the NXT into any AC outlet for 60 seconds to power the capacitor-powered active circuit for up to 16 hours of performance time. The instrument can then be plugged straight into any low or high impedance device, no direct box necessary. Since there is no signal loss over the full frequency spectrum of the instrument, the fundamentals of every note remain clear and strong, even with extra-long cables.Passive ModeThe NXTa can be played in this mode when using a direct box or an amplifier with high impedance input. (This mode provides performance capabilities identical to the original NXT.)Eco-Friendly OperationNXTa instruments are battery-free, eliminating the hassle and cost of batteries while helping protect our environment.The Custom Shoulder Rest features a foam-padded malleable aluminum base, which the player can bend and mold to the surface to the chest and shoulder. A wide range of height and angle adjustments can be made while the instrument is in playing position.The ergonomically contoured ebony chin rest is designed to work in tandem with the Custom Shoulder Rest for control, comfort and security. The optional Adjustable Chin Rest is also available for players wanting a more extensive range of position adjustments for more customized fit and comfort. The NXTa also accepts NS Design's revolutionary Balanced Shoulder Rest, which "floats" the instrument in the desired playing position.
- Length: 585 mm (23")
- Width: 117 mm (4.6")
- Thickness: 49 mm (1.92")
- Weight: 650g
- Scale length: 366 mm (14.4")
- Body/Neck: Solid, straight grain maple, with maple face (Satin Black model) or flame maple face (Sunburst model) on body
- Body Reference Bout: Black-dyed maple bout on treble side provides standard viola reference. Easily removable for unrestricted fingerboard access
- Fingerboard: Hand-graduated, featuring asymmetric curvature specially designed for enhanced left-hand playing ease
- Bridge: Black-dyed maple, adjustable for preferred string height via screws accessed from the back
- Strings: NS Electric Strings by D'Addario™ standard. Compatible with standard viola strings
- Precision Tuning Hardware: NS Design patented tuning system. Fine tuners are mounted on the body behind the bridge for precise, stable tuning. Automatic string clamping allows for quick, easy string changes
- Bridge Pickup: Polar directional piezo pickup system
- Electronics: Rotary volume with push-pull Active and Passive; Treble roll off; Arco/Pizzicato toggle switch
- Shoulder and Chin Rest: The Custom Shoulder Rest is a standard with the NXTa Viola. The contoured ebony chin rest works comfortably with Custom Shoulder Rest
- Case: Customized for the NS Viola, this standard hardshell case with handle and shoulder strap includes separate compartments for shoulder rest, charger and accessories, a bow compartment and exterior zipper pouch. Made with durable Cordura® fabric, 3.2 kg (7 lb) loaded weight